There are many exciting and engaging career opportunities in the collision repair industry. Employers are looking for energetic, talented young people that have a passion for cars, are interested in technology, and want a career that offers opportunities for advancement and continuous learning. What types of opportunities are available within a collision repair facility?
- Damage Appraiser - assess damage caused by collisions; determine correct repair procedures; create computerized estimate; communications.
- Licensed Autobody Technician - assess damage; measure and repair structural damage; review computerized vehicle specifications; repair or replace dented and damaged vehicle parts.
- Automotive Prepper - prepare automotive surfaces for painting.
- Automotive Painter - colour matching; paint mixing; waterborne basecoat and clearcoat application; operate paint booth.
- Automotive Detailer - prepare vehicles for delivery to customer; final inspection for quality; polishing; pinstriping; decal application
- Customer Service Representative - manage customer and insurance company relations; invoicing
- Manager - many positions such as parts manager, production manager, office manager, general manager
Once working in the collision repair industry you can progress from one position to another. Often managers or business owners start out as technicians and gain new skills on the job. The salary range of someone working in the collision repair industry can start from $40,000 CAD for entry-level employees to over $100,000 CAD for skilled, experienced employees. Related Career Paths There are many opportunities in related fields that look to the collision repair industry for talented people. The skills and knowledge acquired from working within a collision repair facility are essential for these related positions:
- Insurance Companies – appraisals and management
- Paint Manufacturers - technical, sales, training, marketing, communications representatives and management
- Equipment Manufacturers - sales, installation, service and management
- Computer Software - sales and service and management
- Parts suppliers - customer service, sales, technical support and management
- Distribution - sales, purchasing, customer service, accounting and management
- Not-for-profit organizations - training, public relations, government relations, health and safety
- Automotive Repair - mechanical technicians, glass installers, customer service and management